Nothing eases the winter blues like a hot bowl of soup on a cold day. January is National Soup Month, which means there’s no better time to cook a steaming pot of soup for your fellow campers. This hearty corn chowder recipe is easy to prepare in a small RV kitchen and is guaranteed to help you stay warm this January.
Sweet Corn Chowder
What you’ll need:
- 2 ribs celery (chopped)
- 2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 cups fresh corn kernels
- 1 pound boiling potatoes (peeled and diced)
- 1 red bell pepper (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 scallions (bulbs and green tops chopped and separated)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 quart low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- Sour cream for serving
- Melt the butter over medium heat in a large saucepan.
- Stir in the celery, bell pepper and scallion bulbs. Stir the vegetables until they begin to soften (roughly 10 minutes).
- Stir in the 2 cups of corn, chopped potatoes, chicken broth, bay leaf and salt.
- Bring the entire mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and let your soup simmer for 15 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Place your remaining two cups of corn in a food processor (or blender), and puree them with the milk until the mixture is smooth.
- Stir your corn puree into the saucepan with your soup, then stir in the black pepper.
- Allow the soup to simmer for roughly 5 to 10 minutes or until it has slightly thickened.
- Remove the bay leaf and stir in the scallion greens.
- This recipe yields four servings, so separate the soup evenly into four bowls, and serve with a dollop of sour cream on top.
Stop and See Us This January
The RV season is year-round here at Jack Link’s RV Center, and we’re here to help with all of your RV travel needs. Whether you’re interested in a new or used RV, need some service performed on your current RV or simply want a few camping supplies to get you through the winter, we’re here to help.